Department of Chemical Engineering
The department was established in 2015. Course offered by the department is B.Tech – Chemical Engineering which is affiliated to APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University, Kerala. Chemical engineers are designing and operating industrial processes that convert raw materials into valuable products. Our course provides a thorough grounding in chemical engineering with plant utilities & piping design, and also providing training in personal and transferable skill. Students in our department secured excellent academic results in their university examinations. The Department moved into a specially designed new building. The aim is to produce graduates that meet the needs of today’s process industries.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Impart knowledge to students at all levels through a vibrant, dynamic, and state of the art intellectual delivery to ensure the creation of a compete chemical engineer with high sense of social responsibility and professional ethics.
To inculcate continuously and relentlessly to produce top chemical engineers for the industrial requirement.
Head of the Department
Dr. Fahad M K,
- Completed PhD from IIT Guwahati, Assam.
- Completed M Tech from DDIT, Nadiad, Gujarat
- Competed B Tech from TKM CE, Kollam, Kerala
- Worked as a Field Operation and Panel Engineer in Reliance Industries Ltd, Vadodara, Gujarat.
- Worked as an External Engineer in Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd – Kochi Refinery, Kerala.
- Worked as Graduate Apprentice in Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd – Kochi Refinery, Kerala.
- Worked as Adhoc Faculty in NIT Calicut, Kerala,
- Worked as Assistant Professor in VSB Engineering College, Karur, Tamil Nadu.
Research papers published in international journal
- Fahad, M.K., Prakash, R., Majumder, S.K., Ghosh, P., 2019. Gas holdup in the gas-liquid-coal slurry flow in a flotation column in presence of surface active agent. Multiphase Sci. Technol. 31(3), 199–214.
- Fahad, M.K., Prakash, R., Majumder, S.K., Ghosh, P., 2019. Frictional pressure drop in a flotation column: an experimental investigation in continuous mode and its prediction by a general model. Multiphase Sci. Technol, 31(3), 235–254.
- Fahad, M. K., Prakash, R., Majumder, S. K., Ghosh, P., 2020. Dispersion characteristics in a gas-liquid-coal slurry flotation column and its analysis by the velocity distribution model. J. Dispersion Sci. Technol. In press, https://doi.org/10.1080/01932691.2020.1737105.
Poster presentation in national conferences
- Fahad, M.K., Majumder, S.K., Ghosh, P., 2017. Hydrodynamic characteristics in cylindrical flotation column, Research Conclave, IIT Guwahati, Guwahati, India.
- Fahad, M.K., Majumder, S.K., Ghosh, P., 2017. Hydrodynamic characteristics in cylindrical flotation column, Reflux, IIT Guwahati, Guwahati, India.
Paper presentation in international conferences
- Fahad, M.K., Majumder, S.K., Ghosh, P., 2017. Beneficiation of Fine Particles by Fine Bubble-aided Flotation. Mineral Processing Technology, Chennai, India.
Workshop/ Faculty Development Programme/ Conferences participated
- Participated for four days workshop regarding “Scheduling and Optimization of Process Plants” conducted at Chemical Engineering Department, Faculty of Technology, DDU, Nadiad during June 16-21, 2010.
- Participated for a one day workshop regarding “Safety in Process Industries” organized on 26th February 2011, under the auspices of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChE), Nadiad Regional Centre in collaboration with Chemical Engineering Department, Dharamsinh Desai University, Nadiad.
- Participated in the Faculty Development Programme on “Advanced Process Dynamics and Control & Process Data Analysis” on Nov 15-20, 2010 (Module I) and on Nov 22-26 (Module II) organized Anchor Institute (Chemicals & Petrochemicals), Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Technology, Dharmsinh Desai University, Nadiad.
- Participated in the Faculty Development Programme on “Workshop for Curriculum Development and Effective Teaching-Learning Process Animation in Chemical Engineering” conducted by Chemical Engineering Department, Faculty of Technology & Engineering and The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara on February 12, 2011.
- Participated foe four days conference on “Chemical Process safety” conducted Chemical Engineering Department, faculty of Technology, DDU, Nadiad on May 2-6, 2011.
- Participated for a one day workshop on “Bio-Technology as a Tool for Environmental Conservation” Sponsored by All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi, and organized by Sree Buddha College of Engineering, Pattor, Nooranadu, on 20th August 2004.
The department has the following laboratory facilities:
- Fluid and Particle Mechanics Lab
The Fluid and Particle Mechanics lab is equipped with Centrifugal pump to transport fluid, flow measuring devices like Venturimeters, Orificemeters, Rotameters, and Weirs, etc. To study the fluid particle mechanics, flow through packed bed and fluidised bed can be carried out. The determination of viscosity of Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluid, pipeline assembling and layout drawing can be performed in the lab.
- Heat Transfer Operation Lab
Heat transfer laboratory course is designed to learn real time dynamics and controlling of process parameters such as temperature, pressure, level and concentration in simple basic systems.
- Chemical Reaction Engineering Lab
Chemical reaction engineering lab helps the students to understand the principles of kinetics of Chemical Reactions through experimentation. This practical course familiarizes the students the principle and working of various chemical reactors.
- Particle Technology Lab
Particle Technology Labs is a premier service laboratory dedicated to quality particle characterization services. Particle characterization services include particle size, surface area/pore size, chemisorption, vapor sorption, microscopy, image analysis, nanotechnology, thermal analysis.
- Chemistry Lab for Process Engineering
Chemistry for process engineering laboratory experiments are designed for inculcating the Practical Chemistry knowledge and micro-skills of a Chemical Engineering student. By properly conducting the experiments qualities like scientific aptitude, observation skill, analytical thinking etc will be enhanced. Varieties of experiments from analytical and physical chemistry are introduced in the syllabus which are very useful for a process engineer.
- Chemical Technology and Environmental Engineering lab
The Chemical Technology and Environmental Engineering lab is equipped with viscometers, BOD incubator, spectrophotometer, water bath, digital balance etc. to carry out the basic experiments related to the chemical technology and Environmental Engineering. Experiments like iodine value, BOD, COD, analysis of soap, etc. are performed in the lab.